Colas is looking to recruit a Quantity Surveyor to join its innovative Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) business. There are currently no quantity surveyors in this 5-6 year old ITS team, so this is a unique opportunity for a quantity surveyor with a contractor background to stamp their mark on this business.
The successful candidate will work on 2 Frameworks, including around ten existing projects (with more work in the pipeline). The projects cover street lighting, traffic signals and roadside technology within the UK. The position holder will ensure that all the commercial matters of a project, including, procurement, risk, cost, and value reporting, forecasting as well as contractual matters are managed effectively and efficiently.
The candidate will report directly to the Commercial Manager and be part of Colas’ circa 30 people strong ITS team in the UK.
The Quantity Surveyor’s work will include, but is not limited to:
- Financial and commercial process including the management of budgets, cost and forecasting
- Commercial management and contract administration including supply chain procurement and management
- Planning and monitoring works using programmes
- Cost Planning and pre-contract cost control
- Project/commercial management reporting
- Recording works progress and assessing the effects of delay, prolongation, and disruption
- Bills of quantities, schedules of rates and activity schedules
- Management of interim and financial accounts.
The Ideal Candidate
It’s likely that the successful candidate will have a contracting background. Additionally, the ideal candidate should be able to demonstrate that they, among other things:
· Have the necessary skills and experience to perform the role to a high standard
· Have experience with NEC contracts
· Have an HND or Degree in Quantity Surveying (or other commercially related discipline).
· Are working towards or prepared to work towards professional membership of an appropriate organisation (for example, RICS/CIOB/ ICES)
· Hold an appropriate Construction Skills Certification Scheme card or prepared to obtain one
· Have stakeholder and client relationship management skills
· Are willing to develop new skills and expertise
· Can identify, allocate and monitor resources
· Can prioritise and schedule objectives so as to optimise time, cost and quality.
You will also have
A desire to further build your career in the highways industry. As the joiner will be the first Quantity Surveyor in the ITS team, subject to performance, there may be opportunities for growth for ambitious and high performing professionals. So, if you are looking for a challenging, potentially promising position and have the desire to join a rapidly expanding company then this could be the role for you.
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas offers some great benefits with this role, including:
• A generous pension contribution
• Life assurance cover (x4 basic salary)
• 25 days annual leave + bank holidays (with the option to buy/sell more)
• Flexible working policy
• Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
• Ongoing training and personal/professional development
• Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
About the Company
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people including over 1500 in the UK across multiple sites. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.