Colas are looking for part time HGV Cat C (Class 2) drivers, with CPC, to work on the Newcastle CC Winter Maintenance contract as Winter Maintenance drivers. The drivers will be appointed on a temporary contract to cover the Winter Maintenance season from 31st October 2022 until 16th April 2023.
- To drive a Winter Maintenance Gritting Vehicle for the duration of the winter maintenance season, within the Newcastle area.
- To be on standby throughout the winter maintenance season.
- To undertake the gritting of the roads on your allocated route and all the associated activities required to deliver the Winter Service, for example washing on completion and parking up within the depot.
The hours will vary per week depending on call outs. Decision making for morning and evenings are generally made on a lunchtime however there will be an expectation that you could take a phone call at anytime and respond to the callout.
We also welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. We would be happy to discuss flexibility if you are able to undertake only mornings/ evenings however you must have the need to work the hours directed by our Duty Supervisor if the weather is of a poor condition. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview, whether this is part-time working, or any other alternative. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full UK driving licence with HGV Class 2 (category C) entitlement and a full CPC is essential
- A valid Winter Maintenance qualification or experience. If however, training is required, training for the City and Guilds qualification will be arranged for September/October 2022 and the above-mentioned temporary contract will be extended to cover this
- The ability to get to Heaton Depot, Newcastle within 1 hours’ notice
As well as a highly competitive salary, Colas offers some great benefits with this role, including:
• A generous pension contribution
• Life assurance cover (x4 basic salary)
• 21 days annual leave + bank holidays (with the option to buy/sell more)
• Flexible working policy
• Opportunity to study towards a professional qualification fully funded
• Ongoing training and personal/professional development
• Discounts on car leasing, holidays, cinema tickets, restaurants and much more through our online employee benefits portal
About the Company
Colas Ltd are a UK subsidiary of the global Colas Group, which operates in over 50 countries worldwide and employs over 55,000 people including over 1500 in the UK across multiple sites. We are specialists in highways construction and have been involved in large scale UK and international construction projects within the highways, airfields and marine sectors as well as offering highways maintenance services and manufacturing our own innovative surfacing products. We hold a ‘Gold Investor in People’ award for continuously developing and rewarding our employees, offering excellent career potential.
Colas is fully committed to promoting equality and diversity and maintaining a culture of fairness, transparency and respect for all employees, clients, communities, suppliers, contractors and other stakeholders. Colas aims to be inclusive, meet diverse needs and promote awareness and ownership in the workplace and the communities in which we serve.
Colas values the strength and differences that a diverse workforce brings to the organisation and believes that by harnessing these differences, we will foster a productive environment where equity and mutual respect are intrinsic, where talents are being fully utilised and organisational goals are met.